Imagine your first date with a crush – it can be nerve-wracking but just as thrilling. In a lot of ways, it’s similar to meeting a potential employer at a career fair! Don’t worry though, all you need is a little prep work and you’ll be ready to charm them with ease.
Think of it as your chance to meet like-minded individuals that could lead you to your next big opportunity.
Whether you’re flying solo in the job market or in a committed relationship with your current job, this invite-only career fair is your ticket to reaching new heights this year.
And we’re here to help you get ready for serious career matchmaking. Here are 5 things you need to remember when striking up a conversation with hiring managers:
- Start with a smile and a confident handshake.
- Kick off your introduction with the most significant fact you want employers to know about yourself. This fact should be relevant to the position you are eyeing at the company.
- Prepare an “elevator pitch” – a thirty-second to one-minute personal summary that tells people who you are and highlights your strengths.
- Show genuine interest in the company. Put your research to work and drop recent information about the company that got you interested. This shows employers you did your research about the company.
- State notable achievements or credentials to show you have the qualifications or experience needed for the role. This lets employers know you’re the one to pay attention to!
Example of a conversation opener:
“Hi there, my name is Ashley! I was very excited to find out that your company would be at this career fair. I’m a huge fan of your company’s recent video series tackling salary transparency. I think the team is doing a great job at educating young Malaysians about their rights as employees and I would love to play a part in that cause.
I understand that you are looking for a Senior Content Executive at the moment. I’ve worked in the social media marketing field for four years. I have experience executing social media influencer campaigns that resulted in a 37% increase in brand awareness in my previous role. Would that be something your company is looking for?”
The first impression you make with an employer is everything. If all goes well for you, it’s possible to make your outreach to busy recruiters and hiring managers more memorable.
Demonstrating your excellent networking skills could mean getting your foot in the door of your dream company. And there’s nowhere better to do that than career fairs.
Taking place in Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur from 3 to 5 March 2023, snag your invitation to meet some of the biggest names in the industry like Hong Leong Bank, Coway, Myra, Fraser and Neave (F&N) and more. It’s all happening at The Awesome Career Fair Vol.6!
Get to know employers on the spot, gain insight into company cultures, and even win amazing prizes worth up to RM3000. With all the top companies in attendance, you’re sure to come across a career opportunity that matches your dreams!