If you’re looking for ways to set yourself apart from other job seekers, we believe Video Cover Letters are the way to go.
Here we show how to create a video cover letter that not only showcases your personality and makes you unforgettable.
Why you need a video cover letter:
1. It makes you memorable
When it comes to job searching, resumes are the bare minimum; every job seeker will have one. However, only a few will go to the extent of creating a video cover letter. In a pile of resumes and written cover letters, your video will surely get you noticed.
2. It shows off your soft skills
This is especially vital if you are applying for customer-facing professions that demand frequent communication, such as sales or marketing. Even if you are looking for a more back-end position such as finance or software development, having a video cover letter will help distinguish you from those who often overlook the need for communication skills for these roles.
3. You get to tell your story
You don’t have to wait to get called for an interview to tell your story when you have a video cover letter. Apart from injecting personality into your application, a video will give you the space to expand on your resume or mention interesting information that isn’t included in your resume.
Not convinced? Here are 4 other reasons you should start creating a video cover letter:
How to Create A Winning Video Cover Letter
1. Plan your talking points ahead of time
Before hitting record, plan out what you want to say first. This is a great chance to use your tried and true elevator pitch. Introduce yourself, your skills, interests, and what your career goals are.
For a more in-depth look at how to create the best self-introduction, read this article.
2. Keep it short
Your video cover letter shouldn’t be longer than 30 seconds. A long-winded video cover letter will risk losing the viewer’s interest. Keep it short and sweet and leave them curious to find out more!
3. Write a script – or don’t
Whether or not you need a script for your video cover letter will largely depend on what works best for you. For some people, having a few bullet points to highlight what is important will work well enough. For others, a thoroughly written script will make them feel more prepared.
In any case, avoid reading the points off the screen while recording. The goal is to make your video look natural and confident. So if you need to, rehearse a few times so you remember what to say.
4. Don’t worry if you don’t get it right the first time
The best part of an application video like this is that you can retake as many times you need! Remember that practice makes perfect, and the more you practice, the more confident you will be in your delivery. With each try, you might even find better ways to say your lines.
5. Make sure you and your surrounding look great
Besides knowing what to say, make sure you look presentable on camera! First impressions are important so run by this quick checklist so you can be sure you look great:
- Make sure your face is well-lit
- Raise the camera to your eye level for a flattering angle
- Make sure your background is neat and presentable
- Film in a distraction-free space
- Use a microphone (if you have one) for clear audio. If you don’t, headphones with a built-in microphone work well too.
These tips also work great for online job interviews. Read more about it here.
If you’re a job seeker on Hiredly, we make creating a video cover letter quick and easy whether via your phone or desktop in 3 simple steps:
- Go to your profile, click “My Video Cover Letter” and allow access to your camera and microphone.
- When you’re ready, hit record.
- Once it’s done it will be uploaded to your profile and employers will be able to view your video along with your application.